Co-sponsors IALD, IES, and IMC have jointly announced that LightFair International will be moving to an alternate-year schedule starting with the 2023 event, taking place May 21 to 25 at the Javits Center in New York City.
In a statement, the organizers said the change to a biennial schedule allows them to better align the show with manufacturing cycles and the pace of industry innovation, delivering an experience that provides maximum value for the architectural and commercial lighting community — with even more product launches, new technologies, and opportunities for connecting with a broader range of professionals in industry segments.
“The lighting industry has been shifting and we took an opportunity to reflect on what we offer and optimize our event in a way that better aligns with industry needs,” said Dan Darby, show director. “We’ve heard and felt the path of the industry moving and it’s important that we evolve with it. LightFair always has the best interest of our robust community of lighting professionals in mind, and we are excited for its brighter biennial future.”The schedule change is part of an overarching strategic plan that LightFair’s management committee developed in response to the changing needs of lighting manufacturing and specification. This plan continues to position LightFair at the forefront of the industry, with exciting new features in 2023 including partnerships with NYCxDESIGN and the International Contemporary Furniture Fair (ICFF), immersive lighting installations, learning tours, audience expansion to include residential lighting professionals and more. LightFair’s new biennial Conference and Trade Show schedule will allow attendees to continue to see the newest products during odd-numbered years, on a frequency that aligns with every-other-year manufacturing cycles. With this exciting shift, LightFair welcomes an increase in attendance from all segments of the industry, providing additional business opportunities for lighting designers, distributors, engineers and architects to come together to celebrate lighting innovation on its grandest scale. “As one of the owners of LightFair, the International Association of Lighting Designers (IALD) is excited to embrace this new biennial cadence that we know will best serve our community in the years to come,” said IALD CEO Christopher Knowlton. “LightFair is evolving and we encourage our members to join us on this sensational journey.” “The Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) remains committed to its mission to improve the lighted environment by bringing together those with lighting knowledge and by translating that knowledge into actions that benefit the public,” said IES Executive Director, Colleen Harper. “With this transformation LightFair will continue to be a mainstay of the lighting industry, allowing us to work together as a community to connect, engage and inspire.” Increasing attendance by 110% over the previous year, LightFair 2022 drew more than 10,000 people from 63 countries to source brand-new products, advance their knowledge and connect with other industry professionals. The 2023 edition is expected to continue this trend with a new strategic plan to dynamically expand the event in several ways:
- LightFair will be an unforgettable experiential journey with newly-introduced immersive lighting installations. Four manufacturer teams will be matched with a New York-based lighting design firm to create these interactive, vibrant installations based on the 2023 theme: Circular Economy.
- The popular Design Pavilion will be re-imagined as the IALD Designery. This will be home to insightful panel discussions, town hall-style member meetings and student events.
- A partnership with NYCxDESIGN will highlight the best lighting design in the city, with experiential studio tours and a panel discussion at The Designery.
- The LightFair LIVE stage will have a new name, IES Live, and diverse new programming. The lineup will include: 3D light fixture printing; meetups with LightFair Conference speakers; a Shark Tank-style sales competition and special Q&A sessions.
- IES will also lead the LightFair 2023 Conference with a robust program anchored around inclusivity and celebrating the multidisciplinary interconnections within lighting and beyond. Conference presenters and topics will cover five broad themes: Business, Process, Art, Science, Technology, while also exploring the overlap between them and out-of-the-box ideas that transcend these themes and expand the boundaries of lighting education to other areas.
here for more info.The 2023 LightFair Trade Show and Conference will focus on future-shaping innovations and an incredible attendee experience driven by new product discovery, networking and on-floor education, Sunday, May 21 through Thursday, May 25, at the Javits Center in New York City. Registration for LightFair 2023 opens February 1, with complimentary expo hall access for IALD and IES members, click