Even though the physical trade show did not take place this year as planned due to COVID-19 concerns, LightFair’s highly anticipated annual Innovation Awards (LIA) were handled remotely, with the help of an independent judging panel comprised of members from the Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) and International Association of Lighting Designers (IALD). The two-day judging process evaluated 146 entries based on each product’s clarity of purpose, versatility, adaptability, sustainability, ease of use, design efficiency, and aspects that enhanced human well-being. The judges narrowed down the submissions to 14 winners.
The purpose of the 31st LightFair Innovation Awards is to reward those innovative products and designs introduced by LightFair 2020 exhibitors during the last 12 months. Originally scheduled to be presented in person at the Las Vegas Convention Center, the awards were announced digitally instead.
“Although LightFair did not take place this year, we want to honor our commitment to celebrating the ingenuity and achievements of the lighting industry through the LightFair Innovation Awards,” says show director Dan Darby. “While we are not gathering in person to celebrate our winners, we are just as inspired by their innovations, and even more excited to see them when we gather again in 2021.”
There are 4 main winners:
Most Innovative Product of the Year: Magellan by Kuzco Lighting
This Contemporary, contoured, low-voltage pendant features multiple shades that surround a hollow center, creating a soft, floral effect. Indirect light is cast onto the interior shade for an even, ambient glow. Equally effective as a solitary pendant or in a cluster of several for larger spaces, the Magellan makes a dramatic focal point.
Technical Innovation Award: Lightcloud Smart Outlet by Rab Lighting, Inc.
The Lightcloud Outlet is a tamper-resistant, duplex receptacle that delivers plug-load control and measured power monitoring for loads up to 20 amps. The bottom receptacle is always on, and the top receptacle can be controlled manually (by app, touch, or local dimmer), schedules, occupancy/vacancy/daylight sensors, or advanced automations such as variable control throughout the day. Energy usage can be viewed from the Lightcloud web app or exported to PDF or CSV. It is compatible with all Lightcloud systems and extends the range of the Lightcloud wireless mesh. There are energy meters for each receptacle for precision power monitoring and energy savings across controlled and always-on receptacles.
Design Excellence Award: Hero by Glint Photonics
Hero is the first track luminaire that allows one to aim light without tilting the luminaire itself. Users move the joystick to aim light in any direction, allowing the luminaires to be installed into the tightest spaces, perfectly aligned to one another. Hero has inward-pointing LEDs, an adaptive baffle, and advanced antireflective materials for low glare. Its simple colors and clean, slim unibody design allow it to nearly disappear into the architecture.
Judges’ Citation: IES eLearning Portal by the Illuminating Engineering Society
The IES launched its eLearning portal of individual one-hour courses in Fall 2019. Categorized by interest and level of experience, it permits users to learn anywhere they have an internet connection from more than 15 topics including TM-30, Connected Lighting, IoT of Lighting, Lighting Design, and many more from recognized industry experts. Each course includes a quiz to promote lighting comprehension and retention, while providing 1 CEU in support of the industry’s licenses and certifications. The IES eLearning is the first of its kind to provide online lighting courses, open to the public, from a standards & organizational point of view. Its on-demand content is curated to embrace the diversity of the lighting industry for various levels.
The winners by category are:
- Ballasts, Transformers, Drivers, Systems and Kits: F-Drive R12 from ETC
- Commercial Indoor: Troffers, Suspended, and Surface-Mounted: Adjustable LED Pipe from Lightheaded Lighting Ltd.
- Control and Distribution Systems, Connectivity and Analytics: Savant Daylight Mode from Savant
- Controls: Components, Sensors, Interfaces and Software: RAB Lighting Inc. – Lightcloud Smart Outlet (previously shown)
- Dynamic Color, Theatrical, Cove, Strips & Tape: InvisiLED CCT Color Temperature Adjustable Tape from WAC Lighting
- Indoor Decorative: Magellan from Kuzco Lighting LLC (previously shown)
- Industrial, Vandal, Emergency & Exit: Conceal X Series Concealed Exit Signs from Concealite Life Safety Products
- Lamps― Conventional, Retrofit and Replacement: JA8-listed G9-Base Lamp from Maxlite, Inc.
- LED/OLED, Chips and Modules: Bridgelux Vesta® Thrive™ from A.L.P.
- Non-Luminous: Research, Publications, Software & Specialty Hardware: IES eLearning Portal from Illuminating Engineering Society (previously shown)
- Parking, Roadway & Area Luminaires: Hei Libertas solar energy tubes from Hei Technology International Gmbh
- Recessed Downlights, Wall Washers & Multiples: DCD Series Higher-Lumen Modular Downlight from Dmf Lighting
- Sports, Step, Landscape, Pool & Fountain Luminaires: Stem from Kuzco Lighting LLC
- Track, Display, Undercabinet & Shelf: Hero from Glint Photonics (previously shown)